mmm… cheese, need I say more? Misha and I love cheese, and brie is one of those cheeses. This is a fun way to do brie differently. I like to keep it simple with apricot jam, but you can add slivered almonds and all sorts of stuff.
Brie en Croute
1 puff pastry
1 large egg, beaten
1 wedge of brie
1/4-1/2 cup apricot preserves
crackers or bread to serve with
- Defrost puff pastry and roll out.
- I like to de-rind my brie, but I’m picky like that. So de-rind the brie if you would like.
- Place brie in center of puff pastery to see where to put apricot preserves. Note: I normally get my brie from Costco, and it comes in a wedge not a circle. So I cut the wedge in half so that I can make a rectangle out of it.
- Remove brie from puff pastry and spoon apricot preserves to about the size that the brie will take up.
- Place the brie on top of the apricot preserves.
- Wrap brie with the puff pastry.
- Wrap brie in plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove brie from freezer and plastic wrap.
- Place on greased oven-safe dish. Brush brie with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or bread and enjoy! Note: It comes out of the oven HOT, so let it cool for a bit so that eager husbands don’t burn themselves.
If I plan ahead, this is an easy appetizer that Misha and I love. It goes over well with crowds.