I found this recipe a few years ago when I was getting desperate for new vegetarian dishes for Lent. I am so glad that I found this recipe, it is a nice easy dinner, great for leftovers and perfect vegetarian meal for the non-vegetarian.
I always forget how much this really makes every time I make it. As good as they are, by the time we actually finish all of the burritos we’re pretty burrito-ed out. You could easily half or quarter this recipe for a more manageable size. And besides, mashing 6 cups of kidney beans can get quite tiring!
Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook and mash sweet potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the beans and mash.
- Gradually stir in water and heat the mixture until warm.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce.
- Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the 12 warm flour tortillas.
- Top with cheese. Note: I added sour cream and green onion. Just add whatever you normally like to your burrito.
- Fold up tortillas burrito style and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Note: I generally heat up the burritos as we eat them, I wrap the “extra” tortillas up and heat them up in the oven at a later time a little bit longer.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Now that Lent is coming up again, I’m sure we will be making these soon!